Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sorta Like Playing Dress-Up

Admit it, almost all of us played dress-up when we were younger.  (Ahem...did you put on any kind of a costume for Halloween? Well, there you have it...you were playing dress-up!)  It is pretty funny when we are younger, we try to look older.  As children, we wanted to be adults!  Somehow we thought the magical world of adulthood had mysterious links to superpowers...or something.  And, now many adults, try everything to look younger.  What a waste of time (and money)!
 
When you think about God commanding us to be holy, do you panic a little bit?  I think some Christians try to play "dress-up" with holiness.  They look at this service or deed and think, "this is what holy looks like!"  They try it on and struggle to make it fit.  In fact, they struggle so much they eventually lose energy/interest, abandon the "thing" and move on to something else.  Not unlike little children who keep playing dress-up to find the right outfit that makes them "feel" like they look all grown up.  Like children, many of us compare ourselves to each other.  This is normal behavior for children, but not helpful behavior for Christians.
 
Jesus is the only perfect example of holiness.  Not me (oh no, NOT me!).  Not Frank.  Not the pastor, elders or deacons.  Not missionaries.  No other created human being.
 
What exactly does it mean to be holy?  What is holiness any way? 
 
From Easton's - Holiness - In the highest sense belongs to God (Isa_6:3; Rev_15:4), and to Christians as consecrated to God's service, and in so far as they are conformed in all things to the will of God (Rom_6:19, Rom_6:22; Eph_1:4; Tit_1:8; 1Pe_1:15). Personal holiness is a work of gradual development. It is carried on under many hindrances, hence the frequent admonitions to watchfulness, prayer, and perseverance (1Co_1:30; 2Co_7:1; Eph_4:23, Eph_4:24).
 
Personal holiness is a work [with help from the Holy Spirit, I would add] of gradual development.  It takes time.
 
Many of you have heard the story.  When my parents first met Frank, they were less than impressed.  In fact, just the other day my dad was commenting on how wrong he had been about Frank in the beginning of our relationship.  I've always joked about the fact I think my parents love Frank more than me!  And, some of you may think I'm put off by this.  Not at all!  It is exciting to me to see my parents come to know and love the man I saw Frank to be over 15 years ago.
 
This is how God is with us.  He sees and loves who we are in Christ!  He has given us the Holy Spirit to instruct us, convict us of sin and help us in this Christian walk!  And, it takes time.  I used to tell my parents, there is nothing wrong with Frank that time won't mend.  I knew it was the time he spent with them, being him, that would eventually win them over.
 
The same is true for us.  Our holiness is a result of the time we spend focusing on God.  As we spend time with Him in prayer, study of His love letter to us (the Bible) and obeying His commands to us...our gradual growth as a Believer (and the characteristic of holiness) takes place.  The more we get to know and understand God...Jesus...the Holy Spirit...the more we see and understand what Jesus said in John 15: 5, "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."  You should check out all of John 15!
 
We cannot be holy on our own.  And, I'm glad.
 On my own ability and strength, personal holiness is a heavy burden!
I'm thankful God provides for me, sustains me and "grows" me to be holy. 
 
Matthew 11:27-30
(27) "All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.
(28) "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
(29) "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
(30) "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
 
When you are holy, you are not going to think, look, talk, act or perform like the world.  Think about it.  How does the world say to live and how does God say to live?  The world says, "be like everybody esle."  God says, "be holy, because I am holy."
 
Like the PW Devotion writer says, "You are holy.  Be holy."
 

PlanetWisdom.com Devotionals 


Are Holy Be Holy

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 01:08 PM PDT

"But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy, because I am holy.' " (1 Peter 1:15-16)

I think lots of people read this verse and just check out. "I can't be holy. God is holy. He is perfect. He has never done or said a single sinful thing in all of eternity. He doesn't even have sinful thoughts. That's not me. I can't do that."

Here's what we miss: That is us. That's the point. God is not saying to us, "Be holy, and then you can be my child." He's saying, "You are my child. Now be holy like me."

Still think it's impossible? Listen to these words from Paul in Colossians 1: "But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation."

In His eyes, you are holy. Now, Peter says, start using His power to live up to who you already are. You won't live perfectly free from sin before you see Him in person, but you can make choices that reflect His holiness in your life today. You are holy. Be holy.

Think: Does understanding that God sees you as holy right now motivate you to try harder to live up to your new identity? Where does the power come from to live that way?

Pray: Ask God to help you to understand what it means to be holy in your everyday life. Ask Him to help you to be holy in all you do.

Do: Ask your pastor or youth pastor or a Christian teacher what it means for a Christian to live a holy life. How do they practice that from day to day?

Visit PlanetWisdom.com for more great resources!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home