Hey! Are you a Duck?
It happened again! On the freeway, in RUSH HOUR traffic. In the number 2 lane, oblivious to the impending danger around her, a momma duck and her 3 ducklings were waddling down the freeway. On the median was a Highway Patrol Officer who may or may not have been looking for an opportunity to break traffic and rescue the ducky family. I do not know the fate of that event. But, I can guess. Sadly, unless someone intervenes, the momma duck or one or all of her ducklings may become particles stuck between the treads of tires and the grooves in the highway. How sad!
So, this event caused me to wonder about how many of those around me (you students who know Christ and those of you who may not) who are heading down a seemingly "safe" road in life not knowing (or caring) that danger, or worse, death is there to greet them? You are choosing to dance close to the boundary lines in dating, sex, impure thoughts, movies, music, your selection of friends, etc. Instead of making your choices based upon God's Word and what He thinks...you are caving in to peer pressure, selfish desires and your own "wise counsel". You, who know so much and we, who know so little.
I distinctly remember being a teenager. I recall how everything in my life revolved around me. All decisions in my life during that time were a direct result of what I thought and felt about me. You know what I'm talking about - will this make people like me? will this improve my popularity? will this make HIM notice me? will this illegal beverage make me more outgoing/acceptable? will this make me prettier/sexier/older looking? will letting this guy kiss me or "paw" me in a way that I know is wrong, make him want to be my exclusive "boyfriend"?
You know...I had adults in my life who tried to guide me and teach me Truth. I recall Youth Leaders talking about consequences and choosing a direction based upon Biblical principles. However, deep down, I didn't care. I wanted to go my own way. I wanted to do my own thing. They didn't live in my world. They didn't face the kind of jr. high/high school day that I faced. In my self-educated opinion, they didn't know anything about being a teenager. Now I know better. Amazingly, I'm here to tell you, those Leaders (my parents included) who tried to guide me and shepherd me actually knew what they were talking about!
God knew from the beginning. He talks about going your own way and the consequences. Here's a few verses that address this very thing:
Prov.12:15 “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who listens to counsel.”
Prov. 14:12, 15-16 - "There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. The naive believes everything, but the sensible man considers his steps. A wise man is cautious and turns away from evil, but a fool is arrogant and careless."
Romans 6:20-23 - "For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death. But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Are you like that duck? Are you headed in a direction heedless to the danger all around you? Are you going your own way, not caring about what your parents or those placed in authority over you are trying to talk to you about or help protect you from the consequences?
Think about it. Stop. Repent. Respond to God calling you, wooing you, desiring an intimate relationship with you. The long-term benefits of responding to God now in your life, obeying Him, far outweigh the temporary satisfaction of that thing you are doing right now.
Don't be a duck.


<< Home