Friday, January 19, 2007

Noises annoying and small, but noises nevertheless...

For several months, renovation and re-construction has been progressing on the floor below where I work. CHOC is expanding and making room for new clinic exam rooms. This is a good thing! However, there are times when I truly fear a drill bit will penetrate the floor beneath my feet and skewer my foot! And the noise…the noise has gone from irritating little tick-tick-tappings to eardrum-shattering buzzing, drilling sounds. The worst yet is a high-pitched, agonizing resistant twisting of sheet metal stubbornly refusing to let the drills break through.

This morning, the noise was so loud it actually hurt my ears. Today, they happen to be working directly below where I labor day in and day out to keep the wheels of continuing medical education turning. Thankfully, I do not have a job which requires I spend a lot of time on the phone. Yet, at this very time, we are in registration mode for an upcoming conference…so my phone rings quite regularly (which it shouldn’t as we have online registration…but that is a story for another time). And, I am sure it is only coincidental, but the drilling gets ear deafening whenever I am answering the phone!

It is amazing how desensitized I’ve become to the incessant hammering and tiny tapping that is continual throughout my day. In the beginning, those small breaches into my otherwise quiet world were extremely distracting and forced me to concentrate considerably to keep my focus on whatever I was working on. Now, they are a welcome respite to the cacophony which now, without prelude or 3-minute warning, assaults my haven of quiet at whim. In fact, the noises are so loud I have to excuse myself from the caller, with a promise to call back, leave my office and wander the halls aimlessly.

Then I read this morning’s devotion from Spurgeon, which is copied below for your edification.
I couldn’t help but compare the noises of the day to sin in our lives. As I have become desensitized to the little annoying noises and only react to the extreme sounds….I wonder at what “little” sins you and I have become accustomed to allowing them to go unchecked and unregarded? And, I wonder at the way you and I label them “little”…as if sin isn’t hideous and doesn’t grieve the Holy Spirit in any degree of wretchedness!

It is only through walking by the Spirit we will have sensitivity to sin of any type and discipline ourselves to please God over ourselves.

I now think of those little noises as the tapping of the Holy Spirit upon my heart’s door. Almost like He is saying, “Pssst…listen, let Me be in control…” It is a choice I make every moment to walk in Him and not by myself.

What about you?

“I sought him, but I found him not.”
Song of Solomon 3:1

From Spurgeon’s Morning & Evening…

Tell me where you lost the company of Christ, and I will tell you the most likely place to find Him. Have you lost Christ in the closet by restraining prayer? Then it is there you must seek and find Him. Did you lose Christ by sin? You will find Christ in no other way but by the giving up of the sin, and seeking by the Holy Spirit to mortify the member in which the lust doth dwell. Did you lose Christ by neglecting the Scriptures? You must find Christ in the Scriptures. It is a true proverb, “Look for a thing where you dropped it, it is there.” So look for Christ where you lost Him, for He has not gone away. But it is hard work to go back for Christ. Bunyan tells us, the pilgrim found the piece of the road back to the Arbor of Ease, where he lost his roll, the hardest he had ever traveled. Twenty miles onward is easier than to go one mile back for the lost evidence.

Take care, then, when you find your Master, to cling close to Him. But how is it you have lost Him? One would have thought you would never have parted with such a precious friend, whose presence is so sweet, whose words are so comforting, and whose company is so dear to you! How is it that you did not watch Him every moment for fear of losing sight of Him? Yet, since you have let Him go, what a mercy that you are seeking Him, even though you mournfully groan, “O that I knew where I might find Him!” Go on seeking, for it is dangerous to be without thy Lord. Without Christ you are like a sheep without its shepherd; like a tree without water at its roots; like a sere leaf in the tempest-not bound to the tree of life. With your whole heart seek Him, and He will be found: only give yourself thoroughly up to the search, and verily, you will yet discover him to your joy and gladness.

I love you all!

Dogledanji!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home